Thursday, October 2, 2008

Toddler Communication

My child screams. Not simple yelling, but an ear piercing, shrill masterpiece that reverberates in whatever room you are in which makes it seem even louder than it really is. Last night, she started when she had to get out of the bathtub and go to bed. We had to remove her from the bathroom so that our ears would stop bleeding.

Poor parenting confession #1 - I usually wind up yelling back. I yell at her for yelling at me. It's like trying to make peace in the Middle East with big guns. I can only imagine what it's going to be like when she's a teenager. We won't need words, only fog horns. Sigh.

2 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

It's hard to communicate with our kids some times and to keep our cool. I often wish I was a mom who was so peaceful and had a still calm voice when I talked to my son no matter how loud or frustrating he is. I am not perfect and I confess that. Yet I am learning.

Julie and Greg said...

Thanks for the acknowledgement that there are more like myself out there. I know that I do the best that I can, but when I fall short of my expectations for myself - it can be difficult.