Monday, April 27, 2009

Ups and Downs

Again, long time no post. Time slips away from me so quickly it's almost frightening. We have had a lot going on lately. Emily has started to learn how to ride her bike. She keeps trying to look at her feet though as she rides so it is a bit of a challenge for her to try to steer and keep her eyes on the road at the same time.

We spent the past weekend in Albertville, MN shopping. My sister-in-law and her family (nephews included) met up with us and we had a really nice weekend together. The boys watched the kids for us quite a bit and Janelle and I were able to sneak away and do some shopping on our own which was a wonderful thing as it gave us a chance to catch up and to spend some time one-on-one which doesn't happen very often. I enjoy being able to spend that kind of time with her and only wish it could happen more often. The weekend was a much needed break for me as well for reasons I will discuss later on in this post.

Emily and Danica also were fitted for their flower girl dresses for my other sister-in-law's wedding this coming October. Emily was fine with the fitting although she had a hard time understanding why she had to leave the princess dress at the store. Danica on the other hand, had a great time at the bridal salon until she had to actually put on the dress - a minor meltdown but nothing that was overly embarrassing. The woman from the bridal shop even recognized me - 5 years later. That woman has an amazing memory. The owner also decided to play dress up with the girls - perhaps a hint of things to come?

For all the fun times we have been having lately, personally I have been struggling. We are fast approaching the date we lost one of our twins and it is hitting me quite hard this year for some reason. Perhaps last year I was so preoccupied with a new baby and a toddler at home that I didn't even note the passing of the date. This year however, has been hard. By this time after having Emily, I was pregnant already. There has been much discussion in our house as to when to start trying for another baby. If the past few weeks are any indication, I am completely, totally not ready for that to happen anytime soon. It almost feels like having another baby is in a way replacing the baby we lost. Whenever anyone asks me how many children I have, I give the canned answer of two, yet my heart wants desperately to tell them the truth - I am a mother of three. The fact that one baby was taken from us halfway through a pregnancy doesn't diminish the fact that we had three children. We had passed the danger zone and were more than halfway through a normal twin gestation. We had a second crib coming, a double stroller and extra car seat was on order. For Pete's sake, my sick leave time was set. As I walk though this valley, I know I will come out the other side stronger and perhaps even learn something. The time away that we had gave me some much needed time for myself - to think and to pray. I'm being led by God, of that I am sure. Where too is yet unknown.
Emily's first attempt at riding her bike - notice where she is looking?

Easter SundayFirst ride of the year in our new bike trailer
Hanging out with our cousins in Albertville
Enjoying lunch at CulversHere comes the bride...
Here comes another bride...

2 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

You are a mother of three and have every right to tell people. I am sorry for your loss. Don't feel that you have to be over that pain and heart ache. That baby will forever be carried in your heart.
Though I have never lost a baby I have often wondered what I would do if I had. I think I would eventually get a family ring and include the birth stones of those unborn babies too just as a way of saying they are part of our family. Did you ever do anything to remember that baby by?

Julie and Greg said...

Hi Rebekah,

Thanks for your post - it was appreciated. I have thought about getting a family ring but did want to wait until our family is complete before doing so. How is it being back home?