Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Frustration

I am frustrated with the attitudes that I have been encountering lately - namely my own. I know that part of it is hormone related but I find that my ability to have patience with myself and others is dwindling fast.

I took over the position of being treasurer of our church because I felt that God was calling me to serve in that capacity. It is a way for me to truly use the education and skills that I have been blessed with. It was my first year in 2006 and it was a year with a large learning curve. I won't go into details here, but I have been criticized (not to my face mind you) for the job that I have done (which I think was a pretty good one). It's only coming from a vocal minority and I'm told by the prior treasurer that it will continue but that isn't making me feel any better. The part that really gets me is that the people making the comments don't understand a thing about accounting and not-for-profit organizations yet they flap their gums.

I have also had the opportunity to witness the inner workings of a church and to see the personal interatctions that people in the congregation have with each other. I find that there is more bickering than in a school playground and it is starting to bug me. Normally mature, reasonable adults begin to act like children when they don't get their own way. It seems like every time the committee of administration meets (which is the committee that the treasurer serves on) we spend more time putting out silly little fires than actually dealing with the big stuff.

Then on top of that, I've had a few situations with people where they have treated me like I'm stupid. I've had a few instances of people lying to my face and it is starting to anger me. I know full well that they are lying to me, yet I don't call them on it. I suppose its not really worth the argument that would be sure to follow. I'm trying to wrap my head around the reasoning for the lying but I'm coming up short. I've also had a few people behave in some rather hurtful ways in the past few weeks. I'm sure that those instances were simple oversights but it has just added to my fire.

So that's where I'm at today. Frustrated with the people around me and even more concerned about my own ability (or lack thereof) to deal with them.

No comments: